The horrible explosion in Indianapolis Saturday night that claimed two lives and destroyed multiple homes literally hit very close to home for me.
The devastated neighborhood is less than a mile from my own home and and an area that I jog by and drive through regularly. I heard the explosion and felt the thud but, of course, had no idea what had occurred.
I offer my heartfelt condolences to those who lost loved ones and whose houses were destroyed.
While it still remains to be seen whether a natural gas accident was the cause of the explosion, the evidence would seem to point in that direction. I decided to take some time to educate myself on safety issues surrounding natural gas and thought I would share these links and pages with you as well.
Remember, if you think you smell the distinctive "rotten egg" odor of leaking natural gas, first vacate the area immediately and THEN call your local natural gas provider or 911.
Don't forget: using a cellphone or regular land line can spark an explosion, so LEAVE the area FIRST!
Do your children have questions about what happened? The site below has coloring pages, tips, and a safety certificate. It's a good way for parents or teachers to educate the kids.
Post a Comment