The old phrase is "do what you love and the money will follow." But, of course, it's far too easy to slip into an enslaving routine. You get the job out of college, along come the kids, a relationship, a mortgage, and responsibility that doesn't seem all that interested in letting you out of its' grip.
But along the way, perhaps you realize, something has gone wrong. Whether you work in a highrise in downtown Indianapolis, a building along the freeway in Fishers or anywhere else in Indiana, something is missing. You don't love your job.
I'm very fortunate. I love my work as an Indianapolis real estate agent. But I know plenty of people that spend their workday in misery, doing nothing but daydreaming about the weekend and the next vacation.
The daily grind of earning an income has gone from soul-filling to soul-sucking. Now what?
I came across an article the other day from life and business coach Allison Crow that I forwarded to a few friends and I thought I'd share some of the advice on my blog as well. Here's how to find a job in Indianapolis, or begin a new career in Indiana, that will fill your soul, rather than destroy it.
1) Open your mind to possibility. Don't think about whether or not it's feasible. Consider every chance for a new career and try to find reasons why it WILL work rather than why it will NOT. This is your opportunity to do what you really want to do.
2) Some of you may not believe in such things, but give it a shot anyway. Develop a relationship with your inner voice and wisdom. You may wish to call it God. Or perhaps you wish to think of it as only your inner soul speaking to you. But learn to listen to it. It can be a very small whisper, but don't confuse it with the voice of the negative outside world that's filled with guilt, shame and criticism. Just listen for the truth of what your soul tells you...the answer is that it's really nothing more than what you really want and what you know you were born to be.
4) What completely excites you? What is your passion?
5) Begin to gather evidence of people that are doing exactly what you want to do. Learn about their success and what obstacles they had to overcome. Don't allow yourself to be beaten into submission as to why it WON'T work. In most cases, the people that have achieved what you wish to achieve had to fight their way through the same fears.
6) Remember that fear is your biggest enemy. Nothing destroys more dreams and more lives than FEAR. Absolutely nothing.
7) Stop doing anything that kills your energy and talent. This includes all the bad stuff; nicotine that sucks away your energy, too much alcohol, illicit drugs, or overeating. Allow your energy and talent the opportunity to thrive.
8) Surround yourself with people who ARE doing their Soul-Full work. No matter where you live, you can find them. They belong to the same special-interest groups and clubs in your city that you can also join. Don't be afraid to foster those new friendships. You'll be absolutely amazed at how much your energy and talent grows when you surround it with people who are doing the same. It's fascinating!
There you go. Just a few tips to get you started. I'd love to hear your feedback!